This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
So, when we unexpectedly found ourselves in need of a new vehicle, we were naturally interested in electric vehicles.
Unsurprisingly, this month we bought a pre-owned electric vehicle! I’m in love! And it’s only been a few days.
Here’s why it was such a great deal.
Pros for buying our electric vehicle
- We bought pre-owned. Since it’s three years old rather than brand-new, that saved us about two thirds off the original price, and it’s still in like-new condition. That’s a tip I learned from Dave Ramsey to avoid the worst of the depreciation that happens on cars.
- Zero emission
- Can get about 75 miles on a single charge
- free charging stations around town
- no buying gasoline
- no wasting time at gas stations
- no oil changes
- minimal maintenance required
- drives like a dream
Cons for buying our electric vehicle
- Range anxiety, since it can only get 75 miles on a single charge. That’s it. That’s really the only con so far. The newer electric vehicles can go twice as far on a single charge.
My daughter thought she should pose holding a leaf next to our Nissan Leaf in the picture below.
We just got a charger for our garage that will plug into a regular outlet so we didn’t have to pay an exorbitant amount to get a fancy 30 amp outlet installed. We’ll see how it goes though since this means that the charging time required to fully charge the car will be exorbitant instead. 😉 But no more gas or oil! And it’s so quiet.
Update: It is June 2018 and we’ve now owned our Nissan Leaf EV for about 9 months. And guess what- we still love, love, love it!!! My in-laws gifted us the installation of a fast-charge port in our garage so now we can fully charge the car in only a few hours!