This post may contain affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a qualifying purchase.
My daughter and I both discovered that we have some level of gluten intolerance in 2017, so my family is always looking for gluten-free alternatives to the wheat-y things we used to love. Bread is a big one! But it’s so expensive at the store. Even the cheapest loaves I could find run about $5 for a small loaf!
It’s much more cost effective (and environmentally friendly) to bake your own.
How it’s thrifty: According to my math, you’ll spend about half as much for a homemade loaf of gluten-free bread than you would for the cheapest loaf you can find at the store. Example: For a 2-pack of 20 oz loaves of gluten-free bread from Costco (the store with the cheapest price for gluten-free bread I’ve been able to find anywhere), you’ll pay about $10. That’s $5 per loaf, and the loaves are only 20 ounces each. For the flour and yeast required to make one loaf yourself, you’ll spend less than $2.50 with the recipe in this post.
How it’s green: If you bake your own bread, you know exactly what ingredients are in it. No extra preservatives or other ingredients you can’t pronounce. Plus, cooking at home is better for the environment because of the processing, packaging, and transport required for store bought products.
BeachbodyOnDemand Fixate Show to the Rescue
Luckily, I have been watching some Fixate episodes on BeachbodyOnDemand recently. These are all short 5- or 6-minute healthy food recipe videos. And approved for Autumn Calabrese’s “fix” meal plan.
I was browsing the episodes and realized there were a lot of gluten-free ones, including this one for BREAD! Oh, how we miss bread.
So, we made this tonight and it turned out so good! It’s nice to have an option for affordable gluten-free bread- and freshly baked bread at that!
It was a hit with my daughter too.
And at about $2.50 per loaf, it’s much easier on the wallet.
Thank you thank you thank you, Autumn Calabrese!
Here is a picture of our baking results:
Affordable Homemade Gluten-free Bread Ingredients
- 2 cups Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Instant Yeast
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water
- In a food processor, combine all dry ingredients and pulse to combine.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all wet ingredients.
- With the food processor running, add the wet ingredients to the dry and process for 5 minutes.
- Spray a 2 lb loaf pan and add batter. Smooth top with spatula. Cover and allow to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Uncover the loaf pan and bake for 35 minutes, then decrease oven to 350 degrees F and bake another 35 minutes.
- Remove from oven, turn loaf out of pan onto a cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
I hope you enjoyed this post about making affordable homemade gluten-free bread.
If you’re looking for other ways to save on groceries, check out my Ibotta review: Get easy cash back on your groceries with Ibotta